Home Forum Hardware Discussions Compatible SFP

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    areusch
    Participant

I’ve gotten SFP+ 10G modules to work on the eth0 and eth3. But I can’t seem to find any regular SFP 1G modules that work? Anybody have any luck?

I’ve used the stock kernel on the Ubuntu 16.04 filesystem and I’ve also tried updating the kernel linux-4.4.120-armada-18.06 with no success. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

hchenji
    Participant

What brand modules are you using? I am unable to get fs.com DWDM 10Gbe SFP+ ones to work, the link keeps flapping between up and down.

We have some 1G SFPs, will try those and let you know.

areusch
    Participant

Thanks.

I’ve primarily been using a twinax cable from FS.com for testing 10G.

https://www.fs.com/c/10g-sfp-dac-1114

But I also recall bringing it up on some Cisco compatible SFP+ optics as well. But I can’t seem the find them.

hchenji
    Participant

No luck with fs.com BiDi and even CWDM and multi mode SFPs in the 1G slot.

I suspect the problem is similar to what we had with Clearfog units – there’s a particular kernel version that works fine, others do not. The Armbian distro has some SFP related patches for 4.4 kernels, and this made the clearfogs accept a ton of SFPs. Unfortunately there’s no armbian for clearcloud yet, though the kernel/DTBs should still be available.

Will try custom kernels and ubuntu on my units.

hchenji
    Participant

eth3 port seems to be hardcoded at 2.5Gbps in the dts/dtb. overall, SFP support isn’t even present (drivers/net/phy/sfp.c doesn’t exit) in this marvell-linux kernel. Ports are fixed at some rate. Things now depend on how the transceiver is implemented, whether it uses SGMII or some other bus.

At this rate, might as well ditch marvell-linux and move to mainline. DTS file has support for sfp: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10380619/

emac3_1: mac3 {
    phy-mode = “1000base-x”; /* lane-5 */
    phy-speed = <2500>;
    phys = <&comphy1 5 COMPHY_HS_SGMII2>;
    phy-names = “comphy”;
    };

cpwrunner
    Participant

Thus far I have tested eth1 using iperf with marvell kernel on macchiatobin (ubuntu 18.04 rootfs) connected to a x86_64 pc running ubuntu 18.04.
    The 10GBe card on the x86_64 pc is an intel X520-1. Using these fs.com SFP-10GSR-85 transceiver modules on both sides I get a 9.05Gbps transfer rate. I am using multimode aoc cable from fs.com. I needed to add the allow_unsupported_sfp=1 ixgbe module option on the intel card in order to get the intel card to accept the SFP-10GSR-85 sfp module.

I will post again if I encounter any problems.

hchenji
    Participant

That’s very promising. Could I know what version/branch of the marvell kernel you used? Could you post the .config? What version of u-boot did you use? Is this a double shot or a single shot board?

cpwrunner
    Participant

U-boot version: u-boot-2017.03-armada-17.10
    Marvell Kernel Version: linux-4.4.52-armada-17.10

It was surprisingly easy to setup. I thought that it wouldn’t work until I saw that the intel card allows you to use 3rd party transceivers with its drivers.
    I have not tested much more since the intitial test, but will do more testing eventually.

cpwrunner
    Participant

Also, I am using a single shot, 4Gb of ram I think

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Technical specification tables can not be displayed on mobile. Please view on desktop