Home Forums Hardware Discussions Cooling fan recommendations

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  travisg 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

blu
    Participant

Let’s get some cooling fan discussion going!

Note: temp sensors in /sys one can just cat for degrees Celsius are located at:

/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
    /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp
    /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone2/temp

My experience so far with a 80mm, 12V, 350mA, 4800RPM fan is mixed. Fan does its job well – it keeps the sensors at not much above 40C when CPUs are busy at 2GHz and DDR4 is at 2400, but it’s the loudest thing in the room by far (45-ish dB).

Any quieter solutions are welcome.

blu
    Participant

I came across another 80mm candidate for a cooling fan for the macchiatobin:

CoolerMaster A8015-20CB-3BN-F1 (a leftover part from a CoolerMaster mini-ITX box) – 12V, 120mA – an extremely quiet specimen! My macchiatobin is finally quieter than my desktop ; )

But most importantly, temp stays in the low 40s C under various stress tests @ 1.3GHz (same tests otherwise can go to 80C without active cooling).

nanasi
    Participant

Some of the easily overlooked heat conditions are:
    – Prompted wait of u-boot.
    – UART BOOT fallback of on-die BootROM.

blu
    Participant

Indeed, that u-boot prompt is a real heat hazard on the macchiatobin. The highest temp I’ve ever read on the mcbin was in the u-boot prompt – tsen reported 89C, after I had left u-boot prompt unattended for some time, under passive cooling.

slimsamu
    Participant

All,

I’ve just ordered a cooling fan myself. I found that the passive cooling simply was not sufficient.

I’m running Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (as per the macchiatobin wiki) and my system is quite hot even when idle:

thermal_zone0 = 70 c
    thermal_zone1 = 66 c
    thermal_zone2 = 66 c

I’m concerned to run anything heavy as I do see the temperature go up very rapidly when there is anything CPU/memory intensive for example. Of course heat is the enemy in this case – so want to avoid damaging this board.

Any suggestions? I hope to have the cooling fan in the next few days.

blu
    Participant

Hi slimsamu,

Apparently board’s passive cooling was designed for ambient-t-controlled environments, and most developers’ workbenches clearly do not qualify. So active cooling is the way to go, and the purpose of this thread ; )

Re fans, in my experience 80mm-diameter fans are perfect for positioning right by the edge of the board, blowing at the SoC’s heatsink (incoming ascii art warning):

--N-N-N-N-N----
       | I           |
       | I           |
    F->| .  ###      |
    F->| .  ###      |
    F->|             |
       | DDDDDDDDDDD |
       ---------------

Legend:
    N  - network connectors
    I  - PCIe3.0 x4 slot
    .  - missing JTAG connector
    F  - 80mm fan
    D  - DIMM
    #  - SoC
    -> - airflow

Clearly, a solution where the fan is positioned right on top of the heatsink would be optimal, but the board does not provide any attachment means for such contraptions.

slimsamu
    Participant

Hi blu,

Thanks for your reply. I have a fan on order and will scale back the tests I started performing – which led to:
    kernel: armada_thermal f06f808c.thermal: Overheat critical high threshold temperature reached

-Gabor

travisg
    Participant

FWIW they seem to be shipping with an actual little cpu fan on top of the heat sink.

Sadly the fan is *incredibly* noisy, and I think mine is failing after a few days of running. Will need to measure and get a replacement somewhere.

krovetz
    Participant

I had one of these laying around. It’s a drop-in replacement for the stock fan and is nearly silent.

http://www.mini-box.com/Noise-Blocker-XM2-40x40x10mm-Case-Fan

To stress test, I’ve set my MacchiatoBIN to run at 2GHz and have four instances of this cpuburn running

https://github.com/ssvb/cpuburn-arm/blob/master/cpuburn-a53.S

After 60 minutes the temperature hovers around 67C (up from 50C at idle) in a room that is 23C. Power consumption is 19W (including 4GB RAM, 120GB SATA SSD, and 1Gb ethernet). There’s been no thermal throttling.

travisg
    Participant

I ordered a nice little silent 40mm fan for mine, a ‘Fractal Design Silent Series R3 Black/White Silence-Optimized 40mm Case Fan’ from newegg.

Almost imperceptibly quiet and keeps the thermals just as well as the stock fan.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Signup to our newsletter

Technical specification tables can not be displayed on mobile. Please view on desktop