Home Forum Software discussion Feedback on UEFI BOOT with mini.ISO

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  skorpeo 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

flotter
    Participant

Hi,

We are using Machiattobin as an early prototyping platform for the Marvell ARMADA 8040.

My goal is to boot an “out of the box” Ubuntu and CentOS installer ISO or Netboot image.

(1)

I managed to run the installer using mini.iso from:
    https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/arm64/20180124-02:05/

The install completes (does not run)

(2)

However, the Linaro build seems to hang once I press on Install from the first dialog.
    https://releases.linaro.org/reference-platform/enterprise/17.12/debian-installer/

EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel…
    EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
    EFI stub: Exiting boot services and installing virtual address map…

… then dead

(3)

When using the debian image, I could not do a “Guided – use entire disk” on any selected device. It would always fail (Failed to partition the selected disk).

I created an EFI and root partition manually, and the install completed.

I cannot figure out how to see the “log”, which according to the dialog looks like tab 4. Any suggestions on how to investigate this?

(4)

Finally with the install completed, from the UEFI shell:

fs1:\EFI\debian\grubaa64.efi

It starts, but cannot find the root partition.

FS1:\EFI\debian\> grubaa64.efi
    error: no such partition.
    Entering rescue mode…
    grub rescue>

Any ideas on how to investigate this?

Has anyone managed to make this work yet?

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

mjb67
    Participant

(2)

However, the Linaro build seems to hang once I press on Install from the first dialog.
    https://releases.linaro.org/reference-platform/enterprise/17.12/debian-installer/

EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel…
    EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
    EFI stub: Exiting boot services and installing virtual address map…

… then dead

I saw that symptom but it was just that the serial console wasn’t being passed from grub to the kernel. Adding “console=ttyS0,115200n8” to the kernel arguments allowed the installer to run properly. However, that particular installer then failed to recognise the network interface for me.

The daily Debian testing installer worked for me, but I was able to do a ‘full disk install’ (onto a SATA SSD) and it could boot properly, so I’m not seeing your symptom 4.

suihkulokki
    Participant

The linaro installer uses ACPI so you need to make sure your UEFI firmware build has all the needed ACPI tables for your hardware.

skorpeo
    Participant

Hi, were you able to resolve this? I am encountering the same issue, I even tried plugging in a usb wifi dongle, but no help. EFI apparently supports ACPI as I can select that in bios menu under Device Manager->O/S Hardware Description Selection->O/S Hardware Description->ACPI. Thanks for the tip on the console kernel argument!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Technical specification tables can not be displayed on mobile. Please view on desktop